Sunday, January 26, 2014

45 Years Ago, From My Neck of the Woods

As we wait for the interminable two weeks before the Super Bowl happens, here is a cool YouTube clip I posted on Facebook recently.

I've lived in Brooklyn my entire life, and most of it in the section of Midwood. NBC used to have a studio right on the corner up the block from my house (it is now used for movies), and would film many TV shows there, the most famous being the first three seasons of "The Cosby Show." (It eventually moved to another studio in Queens.)

In 1968, there was a program called "The Kraft Music Hall", and they filmed a segment with legendary comedian Don Rickles walking on Avenue M, beginning with a stroll through the subway station. He encounters kids playing stickball, gets his watched lifted by a "passerby", grabs a hot dog and talks about the glory that is being in Brooklyn.

I nearly flipped when I encountered this clip. The avenue has changed just a bit, but for those of you who know this neighborhood, it is a walk down memory lane.


No comments: